Saturday, May 19, 2012

First things first

The first thing an most important thing to being a consistent and quality pitcher is an ability to respond to adversity. It doesn't matter how good your mechanics or velocity are if you don't know how to react to things when they aren't going your way. A good tool that I use to maintain focus throughout the bad times in a given game is to pick a spot in the outfield that is your "regrouping" or "focus" place. This season I have been picking the biggest "P" I can found on an advertisement in the outfield. I look for a P to represent Power. It may be a little corny but it has been helping me slow the game down when it speeds up on me, and I think it is a great tactic to reset.

In this blog my goal is to give you information on what it takes to be a better pitcher mentally, physically, mechanically, and all the other intangibles that go into what it takes to be the best pitcher you can possibly be. The game of baseball is very synonymous with life in just about every aspect involved. Responding to failure, staying focused on your goals day by day, month by month, and season by season are just a couple of the ways that baseball parallels with life. This game has been one that has taught me a lot about myself and I am thankful for what it has given me. I look forward to sharing some of the positive things I have learned with everyone out there so that you can be a better pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment